This Segment of “Featured Marines” is dedicated to all the MARINES of Percy John Fulton Detachment 1075. These men and women have served our country and our Beloved Corps with Honor. They have served not only active duty, but during their civilian life. From “Toys For Tots” to “Bingo at the Veterans Nursing Home in Salisbury, NC” to events such as the “Marine Corps League Mud Run” that raises funds for the various charities our Detachment supports. Our members are from all walks of life with a common heritage. They have served in WW II, Korea, Vietnam, Grenada, The Gulf Wars, Iraq and wherever Freedom was challenged. The American people owe them a great deal of gratitude. We salute You. God Bless, and Thank You.

Semper Fi

Jerry Johnson

Jerry Johnson was born in Williston, ND in June 1945. He was raised on a ranch in Sidney, MT. He graduated from Pacific Lutheran University in 1969.

Jerry began as a Platoon Leaders Candidate-Aviation (PLC-A) – in 1965-then upon graduation he was on to USMC Officer Candidate School (OCS) in March 1970 – which he completed as the Honor Graduate. He was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant on June 3,1970. He was the first Marine Honor Graduate from USA Flight Training in June 1971. He then returned to MCAS New River, NC HMA 269 – where he learned to fly Cobra (AH-1) attack helicopters. Then to MCAS Futema, then to Vietnam – HMA 369 – in 1972 until returning to MCAS Camp Pendleton, CA – HMA 169 – where he continued to fly Cobras, serving as Quality Assurance Officer, test pilot, flight leader, instructor – until released from Active Duty in December 1974.

Jerry joined the Marine Corps Reserve in 1975 at MCAS Tustin, CA – HMA 773 -still flying Cobras. He had a business move to Texas in 1978 so he transferred to HMH 777 – transitioning to CH 53s. He returned to California to join HMM 764 and transitioned to CH 46s. With a business move to San Francisco in 1983, he transferred to Alameda – HMH 769, again flying CH 53s – serving as Squadron and MAG 42 Operations Officer. He then served as the Squadron Commanding Officer for three years. Following his promotion to Colonel, Jerry became the   G-3 (Operations Officer) then promoted to Chief of Staff (Reserve) of the 4th Marine Air Wing in New Orleans until his retirement in 1997…32 Years later.

His awards include the Meritorious Service Medal, Air Medal (10), Combat Action Ribbon, Naval Unit Citation, Marine Corps Reserve Medal (4), Humanitarian Service Medal, National Defense Service Medal (2) and numerous other service and campaign ribbons.

Jerry currently serves as the Assistant Coordinator – Toys for Tots – Winston-Salem, NC and the Jr. Vice Commandant with the Marine Corps League – Det 1075 – Winston Salem, NC.

Kevin P. McCray

Lance Corporal
Active Duty 1982-88
Honorably Discharged
2nd MAW/VMAQ-2 Det X-Ray

Parris Island Marine Depot – Summer 1982
A-School NAS Memphis, TN 1982-83
Com-Nav-Radar School NAS Whidbey Island, WA 1983
VMAQ-2 ICAP Grumman EA-6B ECM Aircraft MCAS Cherry Point, NC 1983-88

Red Flag Nellis AFB NV
NAS Fallon NV
Goose Bay Labrador Canada
Iwakuni MCAS Japan
Subic Bay/Cubi Point Philippines

Good Conduct Ribbon
Sea Service Ribbon
Secret Clearance

Primarily worked as Comm-Nav-Radar O-Level Tech
Temporary Duty at MCAS Cherry Point – Attached to PMO (Provost Marshall) – 1st Ever Flight Line Guard Unit

Major Events During Service:

Beirut Marine Barracks Bomb Attack on Libyan President Kidafi’s Palace
*Phillippine President Marcos Flees the Phillippines

David Uhl

On Aug 10, 1977, David Uhl entered the Navy as a guaranteed Hospital Corpsman and ordered to Boot camp in Orlando, Florida.

After completing boot camp, Recruit Uhl was sent to Hospital Corps “A” School, Great Lakes. Once graduated from Hospital Corps School, HA Uhl was sent to Field Medial Service School, Camp Johnson, NC.

After graduating FMSS and earning the MOS 8404, HA Uhl was ordered to 2nd Battalion, 8th Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, Camp Geiger, NC for duty as a company corpsman. HA Uhl served with Echo Company 2/8 for approximately a year and was transferred to Echo Company, 2nd Battalion, 6th Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, Camp Lejune,NC.

January 1980, HN Uhl received orders to attend Basic Biomedical Repair Technician “C” school at Fort Fitzsimmons Army Hospital, Denver, CO. After graduating “C” school and earning the MOS 8477, HM3 Uhl was ordered to Naval Regional Medical Center, San Diego as a Basic Biomedical Repair Technician.

In January 1982, HM3 Uhl received orders to attend Advanced Biomedical Repair Technician “C” school at Fort Fitzsimmons Army Hospital, Denver, CO. After graduating “C” school and earning the MOS 8478, HM2 Uhl was ordered to Naval Regional Medical Center, San Diego as an Advanced Biomedical Repair Technician.

October 1983, HM2 Uhl was accepted and transferred to Basic Underwater Demolition/Seal “C” School, Coronado, CA. In February 1984, HM2 Uhl was transferred to 3rd Medical Logistics Company, 3rd FSSG, Okinawa, Japan and assigned as an Advanced Biomedical Repair Technician for a 1 year unaccompanied tour.

In February 1985, HM2 Uhl was transferred to Naval Hospital Long Beach, CA as an Advanced Biomedical Repair Technician. While stationed at Naval Hospital Long Beach, HM1 Uhl completed a Bachelors degree in Business Administration from National University.

In June of 1988, HM1 Uhl was commissioned as an Ensign in the Medical Service Corps and was ordered to Officer Indoctrination School in Newport, RI for training. Upon completion of training, Ensign Uhl was transferred to Dental Center San Diego as a staff officer. While stationed at The Dental Center, Ensign Uhl was sent to Fiscal and Supply School at Naval Hospital Bethesda, MD for 3 months.

In April 1991, LTjg Uhl was awarded a Navy/Marine Achievement Medal and was transferred to Field Medical Service School, Camp Pendleton and assigned as the S1 (Admin) Officer. While at FMSS, LT Uhl received TAD orders to Basic Airborne training at Fort Benning Georgia where he earned his basic airborne wings.

In April 1992, LT Uhl was awarded a Navy/Marine Achievement Medal (2nd award) and received orders to attend Graduate School at West Florida University, Pensacola, FL.  LT Uhl finished graduate school with a Masters degree in Educational Leadership in July 1993 and was ordered to Hospital Corps School, Great Lakes, IL and assigned as Resources Department Head.

In January 1997, LT Uhl was awarded a Navy/Marine Commendation Medal and was transferred to Naval Hospital Lemoore, CA and was assigned as Personnel and Staff Training Department Head.

In July 1999, LT Uhl was awarded a Navy/Marine Commendation Medal (2nd award) and was retired with 22 years of service from the United States Navy.

Barry Lamb

Hospital Corpsman Barry Lamb enlisted August 1987 on the delayed entry program. On January 4, 1988, flew to Great Lakes Naval Training Facility. Attended boot camp then assigned for Corpsman training. His first duty station was at Naval Hospital Cherry Point where he was assigned to the OB/GYN-Nursery for 1.5 years. Went to FMSS at Camp Pendleton then was assigned to 7th Comm Btn in Okinawa, Japan until the first Gulf War started.

Barry went TDY up to Camp Schwab and was attached to 1st Battalion, 6th Marines assigned to the Heavy guns platoon. His unit departed Okinawa aboard the USS Dubuque prior to the ground conflict on the voyage to Saudi Arabia, for the staging for the ground war to commence. Once the ground war started he was assigned to duty in Kuwait.

Upon completion of the duty in Kuwait, he was deployed back to Okinawa for two weeks then transferred back to Camp Lejeune and assigned back to 1/6. He was assigned to Alpha company as the Senior Corpsman for the duration of his enlistment, which expired on January 3, 1992.

Corpsman Lamb, thank you for your service to your country and your Detachmnet. America owes you a debt of gratitude.


Rick Schweikert

Served active duty from 1969 to 1975. Upon enlistment, Rick was sent to Parris Island, SC for basic training. After completion of basic training, Rick was assigned to Camp LeJeune, NC for combat engineering training/shore party 1381/1371. He made two Med-Cruises and two Carribean Cruises spending time aboard the USS Guam LPH-9, and USS Spiegel Grove LSD-32. After that, Rick was assigned to Camp Pendleton, California for 13 months. With that completion of duty, Rick was sent to Camp Hansen, Okinawa four months. Completing four months in Okinawa, Rick was reassigned to Camp Pendleton where he was discharged in February, 1975. During his active duty, Rick set up landing zones for resupply and set up beach zones for resupply from ship to shore. His awards include a Meritorious Unit Commendation, Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal, National Defense Medal and Rifle Expert badge.

Rick is a loyal and Life Member of Marine Corps League Detachment 1075. currently the Jr. Vice Commandant, and also a member of American Legion Post #55, both in Winston Salem, NC.

Marine Schweikert, we thank you for your service to your country and your Detachment. America owes you a debt of gratitude.

Marine Vicki Boyce

Marine Vicki Boyce served active duty from August 20, 1991 to March 5, 1993.

Completing Boot Camp at Parris Island, she completed Auto Mechanic School (3521) at Camp Johnson in North Carolina. Upon graduation, Vicki was stationed at Camp Kinser, Okinawa, Japan where she provided maintenance on Humvees, LVS’s, 800 and 900 series trucks.
During her 11 months in Okinawa she was TAD to play softball for the 3rd FSSG for approximately 4 months. Towards the end of her year in Okinawa, Vicki was diagnosed with Patella Femoral Syndrome and was honorably discharged.

Vicki is currently in her 15th year with the Guilford Courthouse National Military Park as the Maintenance Mechanic and working towards retirement.

A Charter member of the Percy John Fulton Marine Corps League in Winston Salem, NC, Vicki has served as Sr. Vice Commandant, Judge Advocate, Jr. Vice Commandant, and Adjutant multiple tenures in each position.

Vicki has been a member of the Marine Corps League Auxiliary at the Whitewater Valley Detachment in Richmond, Indiana and a regular member at large for several years. In 2020 she will have been associated with the Marine Corps League for 35 years.

Honors and Awards:
National Defense Service Medal, Sea Service Deployment Ribbon, Rifle Marksmanship Badge, Meritorious Mast, and letters of appreciation.


Commander Jimmy Laird Myers

Chaplain Corps, United States Navy (Reserve Component)

Born 11 March 1953 in Winston-Salem, NC. He received a BA cum laude in History from Wake Forest University in 1975, a Masters of Divinity magna cum laude from Emory University in 1978, and a Juris Doctor from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1991. He was ordained an Elder in the Western North Carolina Conference of the United Methodist Church in 1979, and was admitted to the North Carolina Bar in 1991. In 1994, he was elected District Court Judge in the 22nd Judicial District ofNorth Carolina (Alexander, Davie, Davidson , and Iredell counties) and has been reelected four times.

He was commissioned a Lieutenant Junior Grade on 19 September 1985, and had the highest academic average in Class B86001 of the Navy Chaplains School, graduating in November 1985. He has had the following assignments (Command Chaplain unless otherwise designated):

Deputy Command Chaplain Headquarters Battalion, 2nd Marine Division Dec ’85-Jan ’86, Camp Lejeune, NC.

1st Battalion, lOth Marine Regiment, Jan ’86-Jun ’87 Camp Lejeune,NC with deployment to Norway in Mar ’86.

5th Battalion, lOth Marine Regiment , Jun ’87-0ct ’88, Camp Lejeune, NC.

Deputy Command Chaplain, Headquarters and Service Battalion, 4th Force Service Support Group, Marine Forces Reserve, Feb ’89-Sep ’92, Drilling in Greensboro, NC.

Personnel Mobilization Team 1007, Oct ’92-Nov ’96, drilling in Greensboro, NC, Charleston, SC and Wilmington ,NC, with deployment on board the USS George Washington, Aug ’95.

Reserve Chaplain, Naval Hospital Beaufort, SC, Dec ’96-Apr ’99, drilling in Greensboro, NC.

Individual Augmentee, 2nd Force Service Support Group, 2nd Marine Expeditionary Force, May ’99-Sep ’99, drilling in Greensboro, NC.

Supervisory Chaplain, Marine Expeditionary Force Religion Detachment 107 supporting 2nd Force Service Support Group, 2nd Marine Expeditionary Force, Oct ’99-Nov ’01, drilling in Raleigh, NC.

Volunteer Training Unit, Naval Reserve Center, Raleigh, NC Dec ’01-Sep ’02.

Personnel Mobilization Team 1007, Oct ’02-Feb ’03, drilling in Wilmington, NC.

Naval Mobilization Processing Site and Mobilization Support Battalion, Marine Corps Base, Camp Lejeune, NC, with additional duty as Chaplain, USO ofNorth Carolina Feb ’03-Feb ’05.

Commanding Officer, Marine Expeditionary Force Religion Detachment 107, Oct ’03-Sep ’05 supporting 2nd Marine Logistics Group, 2nd Marine Expeditionary Force, drilling in Raleigh, NC.

In Assignment Process, Marine Expeditionary Force Religion Detachment 107, Oct ’05-Jun ’06, drilling in Raleigh, NC.

Reserve Chaplain, Naval Hospital Camp Lejeune Jul ’06-Dec ’06, drilling in Charlotte, NC.

14th Marine Regiment Jan ’07-Nov ’09 with a deployment to South Korea in Aug 08, and additional duty as Officer in Charge to Navy Reserve unit l41 Marines leading a Medical Officer, three RP’s and nineteen Corpsmen from Jan ’07-Nov ’08 drilling at Naval Air Station and Joint Reserve Base, Forth Worth, TX.

Commanding Officer, Marine Expeditionary Force Religion Detachment 106, supporting Marine Corps Base, Quantico with personal support to Headquarters Battalion , Casualty Branch, the Basic School, Security Battalion, and the Embassy Security Group, Dec ’09-Nov ’11, drilling at Joint Base Andrews, MD.

Headquarters and Service Battalion, 41 Marine Logistics Group, Marine Forces Reserve , Dec ’11-Nov ’12, drilling at Air Reserve Base Dobbins, Marietta, GA.

3rd Naval Construction Regiment, Dec ’12-Sep ’13, drilling at Air Reserve Base Dobbins, Marietta, GA with deployment to Sembach, Germany for Wanior Transition, Mar ’13.

Chaplain Myers has completed the following Navy Schools in addition to the Basic Course at the Navy Chaplains School: Marine Indoc at Camp Pendleton , CAAug ’89; Advanced Chaplains Course, Navy Chaplains School, Newport, RI, July ’94; Hospital Chaplains Course, National Navy Medical Center, Bethesda MD Apr ’97, and Advanced Officer Leadership Course at Navy Chaplains School, Newport , RI, Sep ’00.

Chaplain Myers in ten years as a Commanding Officer, Officer in Charge, or Supervisory Chaplain has never had any of his personnel rejected for mobilization. His awards include a Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal, a Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal, a Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Armed Forces Reserve Medal, two National Defense Medals, and the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service medal awarded personally by the Secretary of the Navy the Honorable John Dalton for Chaplain Myers’s service in the Lions Club.


Herbert Windell Allen

We salute Marine Allen for his service to his Country, and Corps.

Herbert Allen enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1966. He was a member of Platoon 3062. He was selected as the “Most Outstanding Recruit” of his platoon. He was awarded the Leatherneck Magazine Dress Blue Uniform award, and meritorious promotion to PFC. He served in Vietnam with the First Marine Division as a Machine Gunner. He was also awarded the Presidential Unit Citation, Run-Muc Cross of Gallantry, Combat Action Ribbon, Three Purple Hearts, Six (6) battle Stars, Vietnam Service Medal w/ 3 stars, Vietnam Campaign Medal, Meritorious Unit Commendation, and the National Defense Service Medal. He served from 1966 – 1974. He was a Sergeant with 14 Combat operations “Search and Destroy” He also served throughout the Far East and the South Pacific.

He currently serves as Jr. Vice Commandant of the PERCY JOHN FULTON Detachment 1075 of the MARINE CORPS LEAGUE.


Sgt. Major Charles Cook

Charles Cook enlisted in the Marine Corps on February 6, 1948. He did Basic Training at Parris Island, SC. After Boot Camp, he was assigned to the 2nd Marine Division at Camp Lejune NC. He served in both Korea, and Vietnam.

He retired from the Marine Corps on December 31, 1976. He was married for over 51 years to his wife Mary, who was also a Marine. They had two children, a daughter Elizabeth Ann, and a son Charles Dennis. His son Charles was also a Marine, and was Killed In Action in 1983 during the Beirut bombing. Sgt Major Cook achieved many things during his time in the Corps. We thank Sgt Major Cook and his family for their sacrifice & service to their Country and our beloved Marine Corps. He is a long time member of the PERCY JOHN FULTON DETACHMENT 1075 of the MARINE CORPS LEAGUE.

FMF Corpsman Lewis Pleasants

HM 2 (Hospital Corpsman 2nd class) Marvin Lewis Pleasants enlisted in the US Navy, October 1966. He attended Hospital Corps School after basic training and then qualified for school to become an Operating Room Technician. His basic training was in Great Lakes, Ill. at Camps Dewey and Moffet, which was a 13 week session. After “scrubbing” for two+ years (during that period he was in the Navy Blue Jacket Choir/Chorus) at Great Lakes Naval Hospital . Pleasants was transferred to the 3rd Marines for FMF training at Camp Pendleton , California . After that, to “ Field Survival School ” also in California .

Deployed to Vietnam in September 1969, served 8 months in the field with the 3rd Marines, and 5 months on the hospital ship USS Sanctuary AH 17, after the 3rd Marines “retired” their colors and were sent to Okinawa . At that time Richard Nixon was President. Pleasants was in Okinawa two weeks, and reassigned to Vietnam because of his medical experience. His CO intervened on his behalf and had he assigned to the hospital ship, versus field duty, the U.S.S. Sanctuary (AH 17). He was Senior Corpsman Scrub Technician for the ships Operating Rooms, which had three operating suites. The ship was an 800+ bed hospital ship, and the sister ship was the U.S.S. Repose. They alternated cruising up and down the coast of South Vietnam to receive Medivac wounded and as a recuperation point for some of the military wounded. Once stabilized and could be transported, the critical patients were transferred to a base hospital such as NSA Danang. Their patients were predominately US Marines, and severely head wounded personnel from all branches of service, as the O.R. team had 4 Neurosurgeons on duty 24/7. The majority of patients were either head wounded or Orthopedics.

From the ship, he was sent to Camp Lejeune for further hospital scrub duty, and then discharged from active duty in October 1970. He served two years in the Reserves, and then was released from service October 1972 with an Honorable discharge.

He is a active member of the PERCY JOHN FULTON DETACHMENT 1075 of the MARINE CORPS LEAGUE.

Captain Ivar Pleasants

Ivar Gram enlisted in the Marine Corps on May 5, 1958 in Virginia. He received recruit training at Parris Island,and Infantry training at Camp Lejeune,NC. After infantry training Ivar was selected for the Marine Corps Drill Team at Ceremonial Guard Company, Washington,D.C.While serving on the Drill Team he was selected and given orders to Navy Flight School,Pensacola,FL. as a Marine Aviation Cadet. Ivar trained in an all jet fixed wing program and graduated in August 1961 at NAAS,Kingsville,Texas as a US Naval Aviator and Second Lieutenant in the US Marine Corps. He was then sent to Cherry Point,NC where he joined an A4-D Skyhawk jet attack squadron. Ivar was involved in the Cuban Missile crisis and was on the runway with his engine running ready to attack a target in Cuba before receiving a stand down.

After his tour in VMA-533, he was sent to New River,NC to retrain in helicopters and then sent to Vietnam in June 1964. He served a year in Danang,Vietnam and returned to the states in May 1965 to Pensacola,FL serving as a helicopter instructor pilot. Ivar resigned from the Marine Corps on September 1, 1966 after 8.5 years of active duty with an Honorable Discharge and with the rank of Captain. He received numerous medals and citations, but most remarkable were Five Air Medals with combat V’s.

Upon release from the Marine Corps he joined Air America (CIA) and returned to South East Asia where he spent the next 8.5 years involved in combat helicopter flying in Laos,Cambodia and again in South Vietnam. Ivar returned to the USA in March 1975, 29 days before Saigon and South Vietnam fell to the communist North. This is referenced because the CIA recruited military pilots with combat experience. In Ivar’s case they recruited him before he was discharged from the Marines. To quote Ivar, “In my heart, I was still a Marine.

Sir, your country and your Detachment salutes you for your service to your country…America owes you a debt of gratitude…… Capt. Gram is a very active member of the Percy John Fulton Marine Corps League Detachment in Winston Salem, NC.


Sgt. Robert F. Fulmer

Bob Fulmer entered the Marine Corps July 1954 and attended boot camp at Parris Island, SC. After completing Infantry Training at Camp Geiger, NC his first duty station was Comm Co. 2nd Service Regiment, 2nd Marine Division CLNC. In 1955 he transferred to the Marine Guard Detachment Naval Air Station Coco Solo Panama Canal Zone in 1955 and while there attained the rank of Cpl. E-3. After his assignment in Panama, Bob returned to stateside in 1957 serving as a cross country prison chaser of the 3rd Naval District Brig of the Brooklyn Navy yards. In 1958, Bob reenlisted and was sent to Camp Pendleton, CA where he was assigned to the MP Detachment Southern Patrol at Camp Delmar. During that assignment Bob also served as a member of the Shore Patrol in Oceanside, CA. In the latter part of 1958 he applied and was accepted for Comm Center School. Upon completion of that training, was transferred to Cherry Point, NC assigned to MWSG-27. During that assignment he earned the rank of Sgt E-4. In 1959 Bob was transferred to MWHG-2 where he served as a Communications Watch Officer in the Wing Comm Center. During the tour at MWHG-2 he was promoted to E-5.

After his tour in VMA-533, he was sent to New River,NC to retrain in helicopters and then sent to Vietnam in June 1964. He served a year in Danang,Vietnam and returned to the states in May 1965 to Pensacola,FL serving as a helicopter instructor pilot. Ivar resigned from the Marine Corps on September 1, 1966 after 8.5 years of active duty with an Honorable Discharge and with the rank of Captain. He received numerous medals and citations, but most remarkable were Five Air Medals with combat V’s.

In 1961 Bob transferred to CLNC where he was assigned to Force Troops FMFLANT Comm. Center. Later in 1962 he was reassigned back to Force Troops and mobilized for the Bay of Pigs in Cuba. Upon stand-down during that assignment he was assigned to Comm. School FMFLANT at Montfort Point where he served as Senior Instructor. During the month of June 1963 Bob entered the Naval Hospital at CLNC requiring surgery for his left hip injury. As a result of his injury and surgery, Bob was medically retired July 1, 1963.

Sgt. Fulmer is a very active member of the Percy John Fulton Marine Corps League Detachment in Winston Salem, NC.

Sgt. Wayne Reid

Wayne Reid enlisted in the Marine Corps June 20, 1963 at the age of 17 on the 120 day delay program. He went to Parris Island, SC October 3, 1963 and graduated from boot camp December 18, 1963; was then assigned to Infantry Training at Camp Giger, NC. After Infantry Training he was assigned to Fox Company, 2nd Battalion, 2nd Marines, 2nd Marine Division at Camp Lejeune, NC. On April 1, 1964 he was promoted to Private First Class. From July 1, 1964 – September 24, 1964, he was stationed at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba where he stood guard duty on the fence line. In October and November 1964 he was on Operation Steel Pike, which was the largest peacetime amphibious landing exercise in history, conducted by the United States Navy and Marine Corps taking place on the coast of Spain. He visited Spain and Portugal on this operation. On February 1, 1965 Wayne was promoted to Lance Corporal. June through November 1965 he was on a Mediterranean Cruise visiting Spain, Italy, Malta and Greece. On December 17, 1965 he received orders for Vietnam. After 3 weeks training at Camp Pendleton for Vietnam, he arrived in Da Nang, Vietnam April 15, 1966. He was assigned to Delta Company, 1st Battalion, 4th Marines, 3rd Marine Division at Phu Bai, Vietnam.

Marine Reid was promoted to Corporal on July 1, 1966. His company then went to Dong Ha, Vietnam. On September 16, 1966 his company “Delta” and “Bravo” Company were ambushed by the North Vietnam Regular Army and were surrounded for 2 and 1/2 days. Delta had 11 KIA’s and numerous wounded in this battle. He was wounded on September 17, 1966 by shrapnel from an enemy hand grenade. On December 20, 1966 his company was sent to Okinawa to regroup from the loss of personnel in the September ambush. His company was then sent back to Vietnam February 17, 1967 where they made an amphibious landing at Quang Ngai. After a three week operation at Quang Ngai they went to Subic Bay, Philippines for two weeks. On February 28, 1967 he was awarded the Purple Heart Medal. They then made another amphibious landing at Gio Linh, Vietnam. His company was stationed at Con Thien, Vietnam in April 1967. He was in Dong Ha waiting for orders to leave Vietnam on May 8, 1967, that night his Company was over run at Con Thien by the North Vietnamese Regular Army. His company along with another company had 44 KIA’s and 110 wounded.

On May 14, 1967 he departed Vietnam. On June 11, 1967 he was assigned to Military Police and Guard Company, H&S Battalion, Marine Corps Base, Camp Lejeune, NC. His last five months in the Marines were spent working in the Indoctrination Area of the Brig at Camp Lejeune, NC. He was released from active duty on October 2, 1967 after four years. He received his Honorable Discharge on June 19, 1969. After seven years of civilian life he enlisted in the Marine Reserves September 22, 1976. He was promoted to Sergeant on June 1, 1977. He was promoted to Staff Sergeant on May 22, 1981. On September 23, 1986 he received an Honorable Discharge from the United States Marine Corps Reserve. He served 16 years in the Marine Corps, 4 years active duty, 5 years active reserves and 7 years inactive reserves.


Master Sgt. Gary Bruce Sprinkle (Retired)

Sworn in the Military in Raleigh , NC November 5th, 1964 for a four year enlistment. On November 17th, 1964 Bruce reported for training at Parris Island, S.C.and upon graduation of Boot Camp January 28th, 1964 Bruce reported to Camp Geiger for four weeks Infantry training.

In March 1965 he was sent to Memphis, TN. For his “C” school training to become an Aviation Supply Clerk. Not feeling suited for that, Bruce requested transfer to Infantry. They obliged, but took away his E-2 stripe for his conduct

The month of June 1965 he joined 3rd Bn., 2nd Marines, 2nd Marine Division and thereafter in September 1965 boarded the USS Telfair, APA 210 (Trembling T) for a 6 month Mediterranean Tour.

After that duty assignment in March 1966 Bruce sailed for the United States and then received orders for a 13 month tour of Southeast Asia, Vietnam. During the month of May he took a 30 day leave before reporting for duty.

June 1966 he reported to Camp Pendleton, Ca. for jungle warfare training, then in July of 1966 he landed in Danang, Vietnam for the 13 month tour of duty. After being in country for about a month, Bruce picked up a PRC 25 and carried it his whole tour. He contracted Malaria, broke an ankle but as he stated, “never got wounded from bullets or shrapnel….I was lucky.”

August 1967 he rotated back to CONUS and took a 30 day leave of duty. September 1967 he rotated to MCRD in San Diego, Ca. for MP duty at the MCRD Brig as Guard and then Brig Warden when he made E-5. November 1968 he Mustered out of USMC after his 4 year tour and went home. During May 1975 Bruce re-enlisted in the Marines Reserve Program and retrained as a Communications Expert in Greensboro, NC where he was Platoon Sgt. in the Wire Platoon as an E-6. May 1982 he joined an MOB Station unit in Charlotte, NC and drilled there until 1988. June 1988 Bruce joined 2nd MEB at Camp Lejeune, NC and drilled there for two years.

June 1989 he rejoined Communications in Greensboro and drilled there until retirement. Then, in March 1991 he was recalled to active duty for 4 months for Operation Desert Shield. He then reported to Norway for 17 days but did not make it to Desert Shield. In June 1991 his active duty was ended. May 1993 Bruce retired for the last time as Master Sgt. with 24 years of duty.

His medals include: Navy Achievement Medal, Good Conduct Medal, Organized Marine Corps Reserve Medal with 1 star, National Defense Service Medal with 1 star, Vietnamese Service Medal with 2 stars, Armed Forces Reserve Medal, Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry with Palm, and the Vietnamese Campaign Medal with Device.

Bruce’s ribbons consist of Combat Action, Presidential Unit Citation with one star, Meritorious Unit Commendation with 1 star, Navy Sea Service Deployment Ribbon. He earned Badges for Expert Rifle/2nd award, and Expert Pistol.

Semper Fi

The Percy John Fulton Detachment 1075 of the Marine Corps League would like to invite all current and Former Marines and FMF Corpsmen to come and join us every 4th Monday of each month as we serve the Marine Corps League.

We have members who have fought in Conflicts, and those who kept us out of Conflict. Come and be a part of the TRADITION: